Thursday, September 18, 2014

Still on the Road

After leaving Monterey, I tried (really, I did) to drive to Yosemite National Park.  I was following the signs, but then decided to follow the GPS.  <sigh>  I ended up entering the park through the southern entrance instead of the northern one.  In order to see the "cool" stuff in Yosemite, we would have had to drive another hour and a half up and then an hour and a half back.  It was quite frustrating.

So instead, we turned around and headed towards our evening's destination, Sequoia National Park.  It was so amazing to see those huge trees, but the drive....oh my goodness.  Hairpin turns, hills, and not much in the way of guardrails.  At the time, I had no idea how to put my car into a lower gear, so by the time we got to the campsite, I was very stressed out and my brakes were hot and smelly.  After a good cry, some dinner, and putting all of the food and toiletries into the bear-proof box, we went to bed.  It was a beautiful night.  Victoria actually woke me up at midnight to point out the stars.

The next morning we headed out to see General Sherman.  As we drove up, we were discussing whether or not we would see a bear.  As I argued that I was sure we wouldn't, we saw an adolescent black bear leaving the parking area!!  We made sure we were very loud as we went on the trail to General Sherman.  What an amazing tree!!!

Next - to Auntie Heidi's!

No comments:

Post a Comment